It feels like it has been so long since I posted a blog entry, don't worry I have not quit. With all the Christmas shopping I have had little time for anything but shopping and crossing everyone off my list. We had a fun break from all the stress of shopping by cooking a simple apple sauce that both kids devoured. I had to make a 2nd batch the next day as they loved it that much.
First I bought about a pound off apples just in case they didn't enjoy it and didn't want to end up tossing too much away. I worried in vain. I first used some 4-5 medium apples, no additional ingredients needed. Beware: Enthusiastic children nibbling the fruit of your labor. :)
4-5 apples (2-3 servings)
A splash of water
1. Wash and peel your apples.
2. Turn on the heat on your pot. Pour a splash of water into the pot, just enough to cover the bottom. Not a lot.
3. Pour in your apples and leave at medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
4. As they begin to soften turn to low heat and leave another 5-8 minutes or until soft. Depending on how soft you or your kiddos like the apples.
5. Let them cool and serve or save for another day's snack.
*Do not leave unattended as they will go brown from one minute to the next
You can have your child pick the apples, experiment with red, yellow and green apples. Have them get involved with cutting by holding their hand and guiding them. I pour the water into a cup and then give it to my son to pour in. He now loves to cook and you will see more fun recipes that other kids his age and younger can assist with, with as little mess or incidents as possible based on my own experience.